The Monza racetrack was opened on 3rd September 1922, built in record time by the Milan Automobile Club to host the Italian Grand Prix.
1922: it’s time to give the Italian Grand Prix a racetrack worthy of the name. After the first edition on the semi-permanent circuit of Montichiari, the needs are clear. A stable facility for motor racing and test sessions is needed. Above all, what is needed is a track that satisfies the technical and commercial needs of the national carmakers, which are growing in number.
The Milan Automobile Club breaks the delay. To celebrate the 25th year of activity, it designs and finances a 10 km long racetrack to be built inside the prestigious Monza Park. Architect Alfredo Rosselli designed the track in just 110 days. From the 15th May to the 15th June 1922, 3,500 construction workers, 200 carts, 30 lorries and a 5 kilometre Decauville railway with 2 locomotives and 80 wagons work at full capacity. On the 28th July the racetrack is almost completed, and Pietro Bordino and Felice Nazaro are the first to test it on a Fiat 570.
Here is a description of the original track: one 5.5 km long road track and an innovative 4.5 km high speed ring with two banked bends, intended as the “spectacular” part of the race and connected by two straights of 1,070 metres each. The tracks also intersect at two levels thanks to an underpass located in the Serraglio part.
The official inauguration takes place on a rainy day. It is the 3rd September of the same year and Prime Minister Facta is also on the stands. The first to achieve victory on this racetrack is Pietro Bordino on a Fiat 501 racing model. The 8th September sees the International motorcycle Grand Prix with Amedeo Ruggeri signing victory on his Harley-Davidson 1000, and on the 10th September there is the second Italian Grand Prix, won by Pietro Bordino on a Fiat 804. The rest is history.